Tuesday 16 December 2014

Interview with Bambie Nicole


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Bambie Nicole, a young American video blogger that documents her transition on YouTube. Hello Bambie!
Bambie: Hello World! Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Bambie: Spicy, feminine, sassy, straightforward, honest, loving, caring, daring.
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Bambie: I made a decision to begin a YouTube channel in hopes of reaching out to others.To let people know anything you put your mind to is possible. If you work hard, sacrifice, and motivate yourself your dreams are totally obtainable.
Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Bambie: I have been in transition for the past fourteen years on hormone therapy. I have never had any kind of augmentation or plastic surgery.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of your transition?
Bambie: I am totally satisfied with the results of my transition. Patience is crucial! The transition itself is a long word defining a lengthy process. Results take a while to achieve however, beautiful results are very possible!


Monika: Could you describe your childhood? When did you feel for the first time that you should not be a boy or man?
Bambie: Childhood was rather confusing! I was raised a female at my God mother’s house, she was in charge of looking after me and my brother. My stepfather was not accepting so, I had to conform to a male role.
I was also born XXY chromosomed so being a ‘’masculine’’ male was not always possible. I felt like a total tomboy just ready to go put on a dress. I always knew I was female. I started taking to dolls and feminine apparel as early as two. I came out to my mother as feeling trapped within the wrong body at the age of five. By the age of twelve, I told my mother I was going to become a woman.
Monika: For most transgender girls, the most traumatic time is the time spent at school, college, or university when they had to face lots of discrimination. Was it the same in your case?
Bambie: I believe we live in a world full of discrimination. I felt as discriminated against as some of my friends of different ethnic groups. I was surely a good laugh at school however, it never deterred me from going to school as a female. I began attending school as a woman my sophomore year.

Courtesy of Bambie.

Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Bambie: Caroline Cossey. I actually met her in person several years back. I always thought she was glamorous and stood up for how she felt with no shame. I feel she opened up a lot of doors for trans women to have a voice in such a big world.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Bambie: It was always a known fact I was going to become a woman since age twelve. My brother and stepfather had the hardest time adapting to my decision they eventually came around to it.
Monika: What is your general view on the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Bambie: I wish all transgender women were able to work without discrimination or be able to express themselves without mockery. We still have a very long road ahead of us as far as society is concerned.
I am happy to see more and more doors opening of opportunity and rights given to transgender people. I still feel as trans people we still have a long road ahead of us worldwide.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years some of them have the status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modelling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you think that it is high time for transgender women to be more vocal and visible?
Bambie: I think that anytime there is a struggle with triumph there is a great story to be told. I also think we have an easier time sharing our stories and becoming more vocal and visible with greater impact. I think trans people in past generations have opened up many doors by telling their stories honestly and not showing shame with a transgender identity.
Monika: What do you think about transgender stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Bambie: I am very happy the transgender community becoming a great feature presentation in the media. I am displeased however, to see genetic people portraying transgender roles. I feel the best characters for transgender identities are transgender people, who have actually faced the emotions of the transition. 


Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Bambie: I think transgender women can make a difference anywhere. I am not active in politics. I am actively participating and lobbying for the transgender community. My greatest ambition is to help educate the big world about such a small minority of people.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Bambie: I love fashion. I dress casual most times either dressy skirts and tops with heels, or black skinny jeans with stylish tops and boots. Special fashion designs come into play when either filming the ‘’Bambie Show’’ or modeling at a photo shoot. I find my best colors tend to be greens, and earthy tones to pop out hazel eyes.
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Bambie: I think the beauty pageants are a very healthy way for the transgender community to share in a competitive nature. I do think some girls go way too far in search of beauty. I hate the "silicone pumping" parties girls partake in to compete in pageants.

Courtesy of Bambie.

Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBT community?
Bambie: I am always involved in the LGBT community, hence my starting up a transgender YouTube channel. I intend to be a small voice having an impact on a large world. 
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination, and hatred?
Bambie: You are going to face discrimination and hatred no matter what you decide to do in life. My best advice to new girls is to start off slowly. Take baby steps with the transition because the process of feminizing is lengthy. Do not be in a hurry to transform because it is not a race and anything worth having is worth waiting for.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Bambie: My next step is to become even more active with the LGBT community and make the ‘’Bambie Show’’ grow from small to larger than life! In the next 5-7 years I can either see myself as a wife to a deserving gentleman, or working full time in the social media.
Monika: Could you say that you are a happy woman now?
Bambie: I can say not only am I a happy woman, but I am also a fulfilled woman. One who is at peace not only with her journey but within herself. No longer on a mission to become a woman just the joy of being one.
Monika: Bambie, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!

All the photos: courtesy of Bambie Nicole.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska
 

Search This Blog