Saturday 10 January 2015

Interview with Tommie Ross


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Tommie Ross, an American entertainer and beauty pageant queen. Hello Tommie!
Tommie: Hello Monika! I'm great, blessed, and highly favored.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Tommie: I am a GOD-fearing entertainer who enjoys life.
Monika: When did you decide that you would like to be a stage artist?
Tommie: After I saw my first show back in 1978, I knew instantly I wanted to do it. 
Monika: Could you name some of the venues and shows in which you participated? 
Tommie: I worked in different venues across the United States, Canada, the Bahamas, and Mexico.

The older I get the more I have learned how to
tolerate the mess.

Monika: Have you ever thought about acting?
Tommie: I believe every time I perform a song on stage it's a form of acting.
Monika: You also take part in transgender beauty pageants. Could you say a few words about your pageants and trophies?
Tommie: I am a 10-time national titleholder, including Miss USofA, Miss National, Miss Continental, Miss Black America, and Miss World.
Monika: Being beautiful always produces a lot of girl power and empowerment. Do you often use it?
Tommie: Exterior beauty is nice but I truly believe inner beauty is better to have.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you could follow?
Tommie: The first Impersonators I saw were Donna Day, Hot Chocolate, Tasha Kohl, and Naomi Sims but I tried to find my own identity.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Tommie: It was just a different time in the '80s; anything associated with transgendered people was thought of as negative.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in American society?
Tommie: I think trans women are making positive steps in society but just like any other group of people there are ones that bring negative light.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years, some of them have the status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modeling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you witness the same trend?
Tommie: Laverne Cox I believe is another fine example of a positive face.

Making mistakes says 1 of 2 things...
I DON'T KNOW or I DON'T CARE.

Monika: Could transgenderism be the new frontier for human rights?
Tommie: I do believe that trans women are becoming a new frontier for human rights.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Tommie: I am an active voter and try to get issues and messages out there as often as I can.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Tommie: Love is very important to give and share.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Tommie: I love fashion. I design the majority of my stage clothes. I particularly like a more classic look.
Monika: You have a perfect figure. What do you do to stay so slim?
Tommie: I don't exercise. Maybe all the running in airports trying to catch that next flight keeps me fit.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Tommie: Writing my memoirs has been something I have been thinking a lot about lately.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Tommie: In 5 or 7 years hopefully I will be something along the lines of an entertainment coach.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls, thinking about an entertainment career?
Tommie: I recommend to all new entertainers is to keep your individuality.
Monika: Tommie, thank you for the interview!
Tommie: Thank you very much for the interview.

All the photos: courtesy of Tommie Ross.
© 2015 - Monika Kowalska
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog