Monday 7 March 2016

Interview with Pamela Giovanni


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Pamela Giovanni, a British actress, model and singer, performer, entertainer, and diva. Hello Pamela!
Pamela: Hi!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Pamela: Firstly, thank you for asking me to interview for you, and a pleasure to offer my advice and help to others. I am a mature lady. I am an actress, model, and wannabe singer.
Monika: When did you decide that you would like to be a stage artist?
Pamela: I am not a stage artist per se. I have performed on stage and screen. I guess I have always been a drama queen from a very early age.
Monika: Could you name some of the venues and shows/revues in which you participated?
Pamela: My first performance was actually in a church hall as an amateur performer. I played a goddess; the acoustics were excellent in adding bass and depth to the performance.
Monika: In addition, you are an actress. Could you elaborate more on your movies? 
Pamela: Wow!, So many to mention. I have been in a few movies, You Owe Me (A western-style movie in which I played a lap dancer), The Lift (Which was an informational short in which I played a domestic assistant). The role was enabling someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to overcome their phobia. Two Gunned Saint another ‘shoot 'em’ up movie again in which I played a sexualized role.
Monika: How do you recall your 2011 X Factor participation?
Pamela: X Factor experience was an eye-opener. Although I am an actress and used to the way the media treat us, the X-Factor (Fremantle Media) were despicable in their total misunderstanding of me as a person. I was interviewed on camera for over 12 hours. At the last minute, I was told I could not audition due to "duty of care". They felt they were 'protecting' me from a harsh public. 
Monika: Have you ever taken part in a transgender beauty pageant?
Pamela: No, I would have been too old.

The role model.

Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in British society?
Pamela: I think things are improving. There is a long way to go yet but there is a definite better social acceptance than only a few years ago.
Monika: At what age did you transition into a woman yourself? Was it a difficult process?
Pamela: I never ‘transitioned’, the term in itself is a misnomer. Completely adding to the confusion that society, in general, can see. I have always been a woman. I guess you could view it as a simple change of outfit. Transitioning means you become something else. I have always been me.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you followed?
Pamela: I play by my own rules and learn from my own mistakes.
Monika: Are there are any transgender ladies that you admire and respect now?
Pamela: Obviously there have been individuals who have had an impact on the transgender community, Christine Jorgensen, Stephanie Lloyd, and the likes. But I do not view myself as these ladies have viewed themselves.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Pamela: Hmmm. Again the coming out thing never really happened. My parents were Jehovahs Witnesses, so their religion was imposed upon me along with its values. At the age of 8 years old I was sent to a psychiatrist because of my ‘cross dressing’. Further tests were taken at that time and I had chromosomal tests. I was found to have no testes and an unusually small penis. The doctors categorized me as a pseudo hermaphrodite. To this day I do not fully understand the term.
Monika: What do you think about transgender stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Pamela: I think Eddie Redmayne did a fantastic portrayal of Lilli Elbe. Also, Alicia Vikander played her role with such sensitivity and understanding. The newspapers will always sensationalize something that is against the social norm. Caitlyn Jenner in my opinion does the Trans community a disservice. Who set her up as a spokeswoman for the community god only knows.
Monika: The transgender cause is usually manifested together with the other LGBT communities. Being the last letter in this abbreviation, is the transgender community able to promote its own cause within the LGBT group?
Pamela: We are all individuals. Yes, it is good to know that you are not alone in a situation that is made difficult by socio-religious ideals. But each can hold their own without the help of a ‘community’.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Pamela: I am not active in politics but I do have political views and rather strong ones at that.

Singing at Leeds University.

Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Pamela: At the moment my employment only allows for uniform and I do not get a lot of time to ‘dress up’. I have my favorite designers, Galliano, Williamson, McQueen, D&G, Versace. Right now I would say I love McQueens style. I am also a fan of Blahniks.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Pamela: Love is something that every human being needs. I miss the love of my parents. Something I never feel I ever had. As for romantic attachment, I am quite happy alone. I have no one to answer to. Whether it remains that way, who can say?
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Pamela: Yes of course. The trans issue would not be a feature as I do not feel I belong to that community. I can see the misconception that people feel, but that is not me. I would endeavor to aid others to come to an understanding of pseudo hermaphrodites whilst gaining more knowledge myself.
Monika: Are you working on any new projects now?
Pamela: At this moment I am writing a feature that is loosely based upon Neil Jordan's Crying Game. Whether it gets to fruition depends upon my other work commitments.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria?
Pamela: All I can say to ladies who are going through a similar experience to me is to be true to yourself. Listen to no one. Only you know who you are. Avoid stereotyping yourself, the world can do that for you. If you want to make a change DO IT.
Monika: Pamela, thank you for the interview!
Pamela: And thank you, Monika. Much and continued success to you and your readers. xx

All the photos: courtesy of Pamela Giovanni.
© 2016 - Monika Kowalska
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog