Monday 6 March 2017

Interview with Fay Louise Purdham


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Fay Louise Purdham, a British beauty queen and media celebrity from Newcastle, nominated for the Positive Role Model at The National Diversity Awards 2017. Hello Fay!
Fay: Hey, how are you!
Monika: Doing fine. Thanks! Could you say a few words about yourself?
Fay: I’m Fay, a 29-year actress, model, spokesperson, ambassador to escape, and patron to courageous kids.
Monika: You hit the headlines 2 years ago when the British media covered your participation in the 2015 Miss Transgender UK. Did you like the contest?
Fay: The contest was a platform builder to help me in my career, and help others going through similar things, and also to help on my journey to motherhood.

Fay at the alternative model contest walking the catwalk.

Monika: What was the atmosphere among the pageant contestants? Did you have a chance to make friends with some of them?
Fay: I made one friend Jossy. The rest were egotistical persons that would not know what being human is about, never mind a woman.
Monika: While preparing yourself for pageants or shows, did anyone help you with your outfits, make-up, and hair?
Fay: I was dressed by Kathryn Russel and the ladies at the Face House did all my hair and makeup.
Monika: What kind of clothes do you wear every day? Do you have your favorite fashion brands, colors, and styles?
Fay: I wear comfortable clothes. I like to feel comfy and save fashion for the red carpet. I love Kathryn Russel who dresses me for many events, and I love stealing my partner's clothes as they are bigger and comfier.
Monika: With your talent, beauty, and intelligence, you would be a great actress or model. Have you ever thought about acting or modeling?
Fay: I do a lot of TV and radio events. I speak a lot and I am looking into writing my own book.
Monika: The media covered extensively your relationship with your boyhood friend and your wedding plans. Are you a happy wife now?
Fay: I separated from Chris as he wasn’t right for me. I’m very happy now with my new partner Stuart.
Monika: The media also reported that you wanted to be a biological father and adoptive mother of a child. You froze some of your sperm before the transition and tried to find a surrogate mother in a bid to achieve your dream of motherhood. Was it true? Were you successful?
Fay: I’m still on my journey to motherhood. In no way would I be an adopted father or whatever they said I would be a parent, end of that.

Fay with her partner Stuart.

Monika: You have been a media celebrity yourself. What do you think in general about transgender news stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Fay: I feel that it’s good to support others but be realistic; being transgender isn’t the hardest thing in life, and that’s my opinion.
Monika: At what age did you transition into a woman yourself? Was it a difficult process? 
Fay: I started at 11, and the only difficult process was a hospital; other than that sticks and stones you know what I mean.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you followed?
Fay: No, as I didn’t know what I really was for years. I chose to respect myself and become my own role model.
Monika: Are there are any transgender ladies that you admire and respect now?
Fay: I respect everyone and I admire my mum as she showed me how to be strong.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Fay: Finding the right shoes to fit. Just joking! I would say feeling complete and happy as the woman I became.
Monika: The transgender cause is usually manifested together with the other LGBTQ communities. Being the last letter in this abbreviation, is the transgender community able to promote its own cause within the LGBTQ group?
Fay: More labels make me angry! Why can’t we just be part of one community humanity, I do not like labels!
Monika: Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Fay: Standing and holding a sign does nothing. Showing people you can successfully do anything is the best sign to hold.

Fay at fashion collective in
support of children in need.

Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Fay: Loving yourself is where it starts. Then when you do, you can love others. Accepting who you are is a good start.
Monika: Are you working on any new projects now?
Fay: I’m a patron for the courageous kids' event, which is on November 11th, raising awareness and working more and more on TV and my book.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls struggling with gender dysphoria?
Fay: If you get pushed down, get back, regroup and carry on.
Monika: Fay, thank you for the interview!

All the photos: courtesy of Fay Louise Purdham.
© 2017 - Monika Kowalska

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog